Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Big Girl Bed!

Easter is a time to celebrate beginnings, and since Caroline has been talking about wanting a "big girl bed", we decided to go ahead and make the change. Easter night, we put her bed together and she slept in it for the first time. I actually had tears in my eyes (sniff, sniff) as I watched Ben and my dad move the crib out of her room. My baby is truly a little girl! She hasn't been ready for a bed until now, as she loved her crib so much- but now it's time! I am still looking for bedding, so for now, she just has sheets and a blanket. I am ready to get her big girl room ready though, so hopefully soon. The hilarious moment we shared helped lighten the emotions I was feeling. As they put the slats in the bed, Caroline got in the middle, got a really confused look on her face, and said, "Something's missing here. I'm afraid I'm going to fall out of here!" We all laughed so hard. Yep, just a few essential things missing here!
Something's missing here!


To make the transition easier for Caroline, we decided to let her take one paci to the bed with her, and her fave stuffed animals. I know, I know- it's time to get rid of the paci! She has only had it for naps and bedtime since she was about a year old... and loves it. It's her security blanket and comfort. Once she gets used to the bed, we plan to work on taking it away. I'll get back to you on that one! I intended to take it away when she was around 2 1/2, but that deadline seems to keep getting pushed back! When we go to the dentist next week, I know he is going to reiterate that we need to tell the paci bye-bye once and for all! Be praying for me on this one...
Poppy and Caroline trying out the bed.. and yes, there's the paci!

I've got my Louie, Sandy, and paci.. what more do I need?

This was my bed when I was a little girl...Ben painted it white and did a nice job. Bring back any memories, Mom and Dad?


That first night was a little rough, as Caroline didn't want us to leave her alone in the room. She also woke up at 3 am crying and I had to go in for a few minutes. The next several nights were the same way. Now, a week later, she is still stalling some at bedtime (calling us in there for drinks of water, to go to the bathroom, or the good ole' excuse of " I can't fall asleep!"). She is getting used to it though and not waking at night anymore. I don't think she would want to go back to a crib now that she has gotten a taste of the big girl bed. I will take this transition over potty training any day!

Check out this video clip of Caroline helping Poppy and Daddy put the bed together.  She was encouraging them all with her little song, "Keep Trying" that she heard on a TV show.  TV can actually be a good influence sometimes! :)


No comments: